Monday, August 31, 2009

Quiet

Today I put three out of my four children on the school bus.

It was strange to come home to a quiet, "empty" house at 7:10 AM.

Even James seemed a little lost, staggering around, yelling, wondering why no one was hollering back.

I decided to take advantage of the opportunity to clean while no one was there to make a mess right behind me.

Going through Anna's room, I was struck with the feeling that, in a way, I've "lost" a part of her to school. Putting away all of her special things was like putting away pieces of our time together.

All the mornings that we would pal around, go Krogering, color, search for good reads at the library, enjoy snacks at Panera . . .

Those mornings now belong to Mrs. Bumgardener, her teacher for the school year.

There is an excitement that comes with this new "freedom", but also a sense of sadness, worry, etc.

Have I prepared her well for her first year at school?

Was there more we could have done together, just the two of us? Did I take full advantage of our time together?

Should I have kept her home this year? She is one of the younger kids to be starting school, but she is so excited and truly wants to be one of those "big kids".

Lots of questions and few answers.

What struck me the most today was just how fast time is going. This little girl, who four years ago was waiting for us in a Chinese orphanage, is now sitting in an American classroom. Our long days at home together have come and gone, much too quickly.

You've come a long way, Baby.

I just wish there was more time to sit back and enjoy the ride.

1 comment:

Rach said...

Wow, how time flies! We're starting Greta next year in Kindergarten...it will be so hard to let her go!