Saturday, May 24, 2008

What Do You Say?

I still bring my male children into the women's bathroom with me. Yes, they are 8 and 6, but it's just what I'm comfortable with. Having a husband who investigated sexual crimes against children, I've come to learn what can happen to unsuspecting male children in bathrooms. Call it paranoia, but I like to think of it as a safety thing.

So there we are, in Borders, all relieving ourselves. My oldest is done and waiting on me to finish my business. That's when I hear him checking things out.

"Ttttaaaammmmpoooonnnnn . . . Tampon. TAMPON!" A new word. Such joy and excitement, especially when it's in a machine that looks as though it might dispense something fun.

"Hey Mom! What kind of candy is a tampon?"

"Ummmm . . . Nothing that you would like. Why don't you wash your hands again? Get them nice and clean before we get a snack . . ." Please. Stop. Talking.

"Oh yes I would, Mom. And I'll tell you what. It must taste really good because it costs $1.00 (most treats come at the "reasonable" price of 25-50 cents). Can I get one? Pleeeaasssee?"

What do you say, when you are truly caught with your pants down?

4 comments:

Rach said...

Wow, this is what I have to look forward to? BTW, I don't think you're paranoid at all for taking them with you.

Anonymous said...

AWKWARD! Thats why more places should have those Family Bathrooms... although in some places that means you have to use the bathroom with your entire Family standing there watching you!

Amy said...

Hey, I'll take that any day! Martina said to me rather excitedly, "When I get big, I'M going have blood in MY panties too!!" while we were in a rather full public restroom...

geminirn said...

HEHE!Too funny!!!