Tuesday, August 14, 2007

What a Disaster

My hubby was so excited. On Sunday, he left for three days in the mountains with a friend from Michigan. They were going to camp and ride their ATVs. I was so happy for him. He needed the time away to relax, destress, and enjoy being released to ride after his shoulder surgery this spring.

Before he left I asked him if he was going to bring one of his rifles.

"What for?"

"You are going into the mountains of West Virginia. You may need protection against the people in addition to the animals". This was mostly a joke.

I should mention at this point that my hubby and his friend have an "inter-racial friendship". There are still places that don't understand this sort of thing.

Sure enough. Sunday night they were staying with friends, and the neighbors across the street got a little excited. I got a phone call early Monday morning from hubby who described the drunken slurs that poured through the windows into early hours of the morning.

"I wish I had my rifle Amy. At one point I was truly scared . . . "

He called yesterday late in the morning to tell me that someone had backed into his car door, when it was open, and it was "displaced" from the car. "When I drive all it does is go ding-ding and the rushes in from everywhere. This is going to cost a pretty penny . . . " It addition to a dangerous weekend, it was now getting expensive!

Then, last night, I get a call and he is near tears. "I totaled my ATV".

"I don't know what happened. One minute I was riding and the next I flipped and it was on top of me. I pushed it off and it went down the cliff . . . "

As a wife, where do you even start? Are you OK? Tell me again how this happened? What do I need to do now? Are you going to the ER? Do you need me to come and get you?

And of course, the one that makes my stomach turn, what if one of the kids had been on the back?

Jack had begged and begged to go with his Daddy. Dave's friend has a daughter whom Jack used to play with. We knew they would have fun, but something told Dave and I to keep Jack home. Thank God we listened!

What scares me is that Dave has no idea how this happened. He was not going too fast. He was not acting crazy. He was just having a nice ride down the trail and he still managed to get hurt. His friend was riding behind him and even he is perplexed. "One minute he was up and the next it was on top of him. People were searching the cliff because they thought he was dead Amy . . ."

I know these things have a bad reputation, but I thought it was mostly due to a lack of common sense. It's hard to prevent accidents from happening when you don't know the cause. We'll submit this to our insurance company, and I pray there is never an itch to ride one again.

The ATV is going to the shop to be junked. They told him there was no point in even bringing it home.

God protected my hubby. Looks like the only thing he hurt was a leg muscle that was stretched when he fell. Thank you Lord for your protection and goodness.

Will have to post some photos when he gets home.

4 comments:

ccw said...

I am constantly amazed by the attitudes of people when we go home to WV. Even in the biggest city (50,000 people) you can read the paper and be amazed.

There was a quote two weeks ago from a man who said "I won't vote for anyone whose name rhymes with Osama".

I am so relieved to hear that your husband is ok. How terrifying for him and for you not to be there. He's very fortunate. I'm sure you'll be relieved to have him back home.

Amy said...

No joke! The rifle comment was ment to be funny but there's a part of me that is serious. We had someone come to give an estimate on house work, and he told us that he would not be able to stay in business if he had minorities working for him. He then asked "Well, you wouldn't want someone "like that" in your home, would you?" We were floored.

Val said...

I'm so glad he's ok. Those things are so dangerous...DH thinks when we spring for something with wheels and a motor, it'll be a go-cart (rollbars, seatbelts, etc.). Sorry to give you more ideas. ;o)

Rach said...

Oh my gosh girl...so much has happened since I've checked in! I'm thankful that Dave is all right...that was a bit scary! I'm glad everyone seems to be doing well otherwise! I think its time to downgrade Dave to a tricycle:) How are your nerves doing?