Tuesday, November 14, 2006


Last week was beautiful in TN. The weather was in the 60s and 70s, and we spent as much time as we could outside. Friday, in particular, was a great day. My hubby had the day off and we spent all day outside with the kids, playing and raking leaves.

Friday night I was working on the computer, finishing parts of our Christmas letter. Around 8 I told my hubby I was going to bed, that I did not feel good. Two hours later, I was 103 and had the chills and shakes so badly I stuffed a blanket in my mouth so my teeth would stop chattering.

Saturday was spent on the couch and Sunday was not much different except for the presence of something else that was creeping up my feet and hands. I had a nasty rash that burned. My joints had also started to ache which I figured was related to sleeping for hours in crazy positions on the couch.

Yesterday I could not move without being in pain. We went to the MD where he gave me many good things: a diagnosis, antibiotics, something for joint swelling, and something for pain. These wonder drugs are allowing me to type quite happily this AM. Nothing like a buzz first things in the morning with your coffee! People have called and written over the past few days and I'm sorry we have not gotten back with you. Things are completely nuts.

I have Lyme's Disease, which is carried by a tick the size of a pin head. After two weeks of antibiotics, I should be good to go, though from what I have read, residual joint pain may last for quite some time. This thing has been a beast. I have not picked up my children since Friday night. I can't pick things up off the floor. My hands can't open things, like my medicine bottles. Going up and down the stairs is a "someone had better be dying up there" type thing.

What really scared me was yesterday when the MD was listing off what he thought this could possibly be. Many of the conditions I'm familiar with, and I know that they just plain suck. I started to think of the lifestyle changes that would take place, and I was scared, sad, etc. Just seeing my kids go to their Tiger Cub Popcorn Sales Celebration at Chuck E Cheese last night without me was sad. What else would I be missing? This bug has already taken four days, and as a mom, that is so hard. Watching the world continue to race by as you just lay there is hard. I felt, as still do to some degree, like a lifeless, loser blob. I take so much for granted, and if anything this will teach me to be grateful for each day that I can get out of bed and hold my family!

So please pray for us. We are waiting for more test results in the next few days to confirm things. Dave has been amazing with the kids, but I can tell this is hard for him too. Doing Mr. Mom and trying to juggle work, a sick wife, etc., is not easy. If you give us a call, please don't think we are being rude if we don't get back with you right away. Dave is probably just helping me off the couch for the 100th time! :) I'm very blessed to have such a wonderful husband!


Heidi said...

You guys will be in our prayers. I've had many family members suffer through lymes disease and related symptoms so my prayers are with you for complete healing.

Rach said...

Oh my gosh, you poor girl! I feel so bad for you. Hang in there! I'm throwing a prayer your way... I wish I could help in some way. Dave sounds like he's been awesome. Hugs!

Chinamama4 said...

Oh, Amy, I'm praying for a quick and complete recovery for you!

Jessica said...

Oh wow! How awful! I hope you feel better soon!

Trisha said...

Sorry to hear that you are feeling so bad. It sounds like a pretty rough place to be right now. Praying for a fast and complete recovery.