Monday, July 10, 2006

We've Arrived . . .

at the terrible twos. I always thought that four kids would be a possibility, but this is doing me in. I feel a tad guilty posting this, but I have to send out a desperate call. "Does anyone ever feel like this!?!?" Most blogs post warm, snuggly pics of their kids and I have none today. This is, however, our life right now.

A few years ago my best friend lamented about her daughter's constant whining. My boys never did this so therefore I could sympathize but not relate. That has all changed. There is whining and screeching. There is pointing and screaming. She gets mad and throws fits in ways I never thought was possible.

Today was a great example. We went to Target while my boys were at VBS. I have been looking forward to this for two weeks. We got out of the car and it was on. Screeching once in the cart. It then rose a notch to full out screaming. Head back. No tears so I knew that she was just plain mad. People were looking at her with sympathy; there was cooing and "awww . . . poor little sweet thing." My mom tried to give her a drink and she brushed it away. Her snack went on the floor.

I can tell you that if this happened with my boys, I would not have gotten those warm looks. When I'm out with Anna, people tend to feel sympathy towards her because she is adopted. I cannot tell you how many comments I have gotten and how much this annoys me. Yes, she is adopted, but please! I need her to be treated like my other children!

To make a long story short, our shopping trip was cut short. It never really happened. My mom took her outside and people gave her strange looks while carrying a screaming child that looked nothing like her. I got the SOS cell phone call from the back of the parking lot, and I decided to just give up. She screamed all the way home, kicking her legs, and screaming "Noooo! Stoooooppppp!" Stop is one of her favorite words, and we hear it almost all day long. It's rather maddening when your almost two year old tells you to "Stoooppp!" while you are talking, singing (can't really blame her there), and doing anything else that she may not like at the moment.

I know this is a phase and that we will get through this. I just don't remember it being this hard! But then again, maybe it's a lot like childbirth. If you truly remembered all the details you probably would not do it again!

"Stoooop! Don't touch me David!"

"I said don't touch me!" You can't see it but she is whacking David with the golf club. He's being quite the sport.

The final meltdown of the day was over the fact that Jack was swinging and she decided at that moment that she wanted to as well. A few seconds later she was on the ground madder than anything.

5 comments:

Kristi said...

First, your daughter (and your son) are adorable. And I believe every parent goes through this stage with their kids. You seem to have a lot of patience, and I hope I do too when I become a mom in a few weeks. Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day. I'm looking forward to reading yours, and learning more about you.

Anonymous said...

I know she's having a meltdown in that last picture, but she is still so amazingly cute!

I hate the whining and meltdowns, especially in public. I'm going through all of that right now, only times two. In fact, we had meltdowns tonight as we tried to leave the playground. Apparently they weren't ready to go.

All I can say is good luck.

Anonymous said...

Oh, "two's" are so rocking awesome, no??? pft!! My little "princess" has those meltdowns daily if not hourly. Xanex, anyone? Mass quantities of alcoholic beverages, anyone?? (pseudo-kidding)
And the whole "wait a MINUTE! I JUST realized that I want THAT... and I NEEDED it YESTERDAY!!!" that is ssssssssoooooo Sophia!!

Trisha said...

DOesn't that make you feel like the worst mother in the world (at least it does for me.) You get those looks whay can't you control your kid? And I remember thinking before I had kids that I would never "allow" my kids to act like that. HA! I have had the most success with a warning, time out if the behavior doesn't stop and apologies to mommy or daddy or sister. He does really well at home, I usually only have to say, "This is your warning." and he will stop. In public, that is another nightmare entirely. I always try to remember if you are calm, your kids will be calm.

Trisha said...

I just read back over my last comment and would like to offer a few more pieces of advice- things that occurred to me while I was trying to deal with an overtired baby and a temper tantruming two year old. I always try to let my kids now the basic plan- where we are going, what we are going to buy, about how long it will take and tell them how I want them to behave. My two year old really likes being "let in" on what will be happening. I also try to make sure everyone is fed and well rested before we attempt to go out (although this is not always possible). Hope this helps!