Sunday, October 04, 2009

The Face of the Flu




Yes, I give my kids drugs.

I believe on taking it easy with certain things, but the flu is nothing to mess around with. We've had this bug every year for the past three years, and I know that getting Tamiflu on board is the key to feeling better faster and preventing it from spreading around your home. I cringe when I hear people mention that their child has been sick with flu like symptoms for days and yet they have not been to the MD. Tamiflu works wonders - I'm talking WONDERS - if taken within 48 hours of becoming symptomatic with the flu.

So what else is in this photo?

Phenergan. I ask for this each time we get Tamiflu because it makes two of my kids vomit.

Motrin and Tylenol. I use both when they are battling the first few days of the flu, typically the time when their fevers are sky high. Last year, even with both on board, I could not get Jack's fever below 103.

Sudafed. Nothing else works better are clearing up boogers. Phenylephrine, which is in everything OTC now, just doesn't cut it. I'd be willing to be that your MD will tell you the same.

Delsym. This stuff lasts 12 hours and I tend to give it only at nighttime unless the MD says it's OK to do so. There are certain ailments where coughing is actually beneficial, and preventing your child from doing so could actually make the condition worse.


Another thing I love? The Nosefrida. You can look at this and gag all you want, but I'm telling you. This thing is the best booger sucker out there. Take a look at the Amazon reviews and you'll see I'm not the only one who is gross thinks so.

I have a great rice sock that the kids use when their ears hurt, and "coldies" that work wonders on their bumps and bruises.

What do you keep around your house to help with coughs, colds, and boo-boos?

I'd love to know!




4 comments:

Christy said...

We personally don't use much, I try and let our immune systems do as much as they possibly can unassisted. On what I think are extreme cases of not feeling good or being sick (and at this point utterly miserable) I use the following:

I only use Tylenol/Motrin if the fever is over 103, otherwise I let the fever fight what ever is going on in their body and the immune system fight the bug. Before going that route though, I try a cool cloth, stripping them down, and a lukewarm bath, if those don't help them we turn to meds to help.

I use a couple German meds when we were dealing with that disgusting bug last year, one was for vomitting and one was for diarhea. (the latter is called Pentofuryl and I'm out of the other one and can't think of the name off the top of my head) I only use them in severe/extreme cases (like last years disgusting never ending bug).

I rarely give anything for coughing other than using our cool mist humidifer.

If I know the kids aren't dealing with allergies and are stuffed up, I rub vapor rub on our feet and then put our socks on and go to bed, we wake up all cleared up!

Honestly when we're sick the two things I rely on the most (outside of our own immuney system) is steaming the bathroom up, opening up windows to air our home out, and the humidifier...making sure they're well hydrated.

Love said...

sorry they're sick! hope it passes quickly!

wanted to thank you for your kind words about our adoption story! i appreciate it so much.

trooppetrie said...

congradulations on winning mckmammas crown

Amy said...

I love, love, love our humidifer too. We actually have three. Check out Amazon, where you can save a bundle on the filters.