Thursday, September 24, 2009

Breastfeeding and Pumpkins

Thanks for the comments regarding my previous post. It's always interesting to hear what others have to say.

I nurse my babies because I believe it's the best food for them. I am determined to give them the best, and it's this determination that gets me through those first six to eight weeks of nothing but nursing and very little sleep.

Those first few months wipe me out. I would be lying if I didn't admit to fantasizing about switching to formula so I could hand over the feedings at night and sleep to my heart's content. I am someone who loves, and needs, their sleep.

But with each of my boys, I have pressed on, and have fallen in love with nursing and all that it has to offer.

Warm snuggles, especially when it's the only time they will let you hold them.

Food on demand anytime and anyplace.

FREE!

A way to stop the hurt, scared, and sad tears.

An easy way to transition into nap and bedtime.

A way to lower my chances of breast cancer, something which is in my family's medical history.

Puts off a visit from Aunt Flo. Last month I had my first period since James' birth. Almost two years without a period. Score!

The list goes on and on, but I guess what it comes down to is that I have never had a reason to wean so I let the kids decide when it's time to be done. Nursing my babies just makes my life easier.

And so James and I will continue our nursing relationship, and I'll savor our time together, knowing that he's my last baby and that the time is passing all too quickly. I still can't believe it's been a year since he came into our family.

Anyways, on a totally different note, I love that today is the first day of fall.

I love that it's 8:00 and dark outside. More time for us to hunker down together, read, and relax.
Also, it's just plain easier to get the kids in bed! "But Mom! It can't be time for bed! It's still light outside!" Does anyone out there know what I'm talking about?

I love opening the windows in the morning and smelling that fresh, crisp air.

The heat and humidity is relenting and playing outside is enjoyable again.

The leaves on our trees are beginning to blush, and my dogwoods are full of shiny red berries that the birds love to devour.

I love that pumpkin this and that is appearing again. I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my pumpkin spice K-Cups, and I'll start hunting for pumpkin ice cream soon.

What do I love most of all?

The indication that time is moving forward and that we are another season closer to becoming a reunited family after 400 days of deployment.

What is your favorite thing about fall?

I'd love to know!

No comments: