Wednesday, April 15, 2009

I'm teetering on the edge.

Last night marked number ? where I have been up more than I've been asleep.

I don't know why I didn't pick up on it; waking up minutes after being put down, wanting to sleep upright, etc.

Drainage on his ear lobe this morning and a fever of almost 103.

Our fourth ear infection. Back to the MD.

"How soon can you get here?"

"Consider me in the car".

So off we went, my hair everywhere, an old shirt covered in unidentifiable substances, no coffee, etc. A real winner.

To make it even better my daughter was wearing a skirt and shirt combo that was the furthest thing from matching. Knee socks and tennis shoes rounded out the look, along with unbrushed hair. I should also add that it was only 45 degrees outside.

My sick child was wrapped in only a blanket.

Not only did I look good, but I should have had the mother of the year award.

At some point during the visit delirium began to set in.

"Forget the doctors. You should have a parking spot reserved for us".

"What would your week be like without seeing me?"

We have been there every week for the past month or so. I'm over it.

And here was my favorite.

"Yes, he still has a fever. I can tell because when he chews on my finger, it feels warm, just like when I do a vaginal exam and my patient is getting sick."

Blank stare from the Nurse Practitioner.

I'm sure not too many mothers compare their child's mouth to the inside of a vagina.

So now we are waiting on an ENT referral and hopefully tubes will be in order.

Time for coffee.

The countdown until bedtime has officially begun.

I'm tired.

I miss my husband.


Sarah said...

Nannie withdrawl

Christy said...

Ah hon, I'm praying the referral comes through quickly and the tubes can be placed very soon.

Praying for you.

Chinamama4 said...

Sure do wish I lived near you so I could give you a hand (and bring you some coffee)! Hang in there, girlfriend, I'm praying for you and your family! You stocked up on K-Cups?