Friday, November 30, 2007

Too complicated for me

A few months ago I decided to subscribe to Time magazine to have a better idea as to what is going on in the world. We don't have the time, nor do I want it on with my kids around, to watch the Nightly News. While most articles inform on world events, some make me scratch my head. Last night I was brought up to date on some of the new etiquette being used this Christmas.

Lowe's is offering a Family Tree instead of a Christmas Tree.

A Santa in Australia is being encouraged to say "Ha, ha, ha" instead of "Ho,ho,ho" for fear of offending women. This just made me laugh. Who had the time to come up with this idea?

So I'll add these to my ever growing list of "must not use" terms during the Christmas season. So far I've been reminded to:
Say Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas.
Sing songs with no religious words and meanings. Jingle Bells is a good one when it doubt.
Something should go on top of the tree besides a star or an angel.
It's not a Christmas Concert but a Holiday Concert.
No Christmas Parties are allowed in the schools in our county.

My question is this. For these people who get all worked up about the Christmas is a no-no word thing, what do they actually call the 25th? "In two weeks it's the big day" or what?

1 comment:

Becky said...

Oh, Amy, I'm right there with you! Last year, Hannah was in a "Holiday Concert" at school. The children sang songs about Hannukah and Kwanzaa, but their "Christmas" songs were strictly non-religious - just Santa and snow and jingle bells. And I ask the same question - so what are all these people who are so deeply offended by any reference to our Savior actually doing on December 25th???