Thursday, May 31, 2007

Summer is Here!

There is nothing like a good day of summer fishing!

This is our first official week of summer! I can't believe it's here!


I had previously asked what people are planning to do this summer, and I got some great ideas. We have enrolled in our library reading program, and it's awesome! They offer wonderful rewards that have my kids all excited. They have readers and listeners so all ages can participate! Take a look at your local library if you haven't already. All ages can benefit! It may benefit you as well if you little ones are too young to enjoy the prizes - ie the ice cream!


You record the books that you read, and the time that it takes you to do so. For each hour, you get to circle your rodeo round-up"badge", and this has been a great way for us to work on telling time. The kids are in charge of watching the clock, and telling me/giving me a good idea as to how long we read for. David does great. Jack still thinks that everything is "one hundred million seconds".


We've started a journal to keep track of our summer fun. My oldest is in charge of writing what we did for the day, and I've tried to make it more exciting by putting out stickers to use as well. We've got two days "recorded" and we'll see what happens. I'm sure as the summer wears on my enthusiasm will die down, but for right now it's a great activity for when I'm trying to make dinner, keep kids from eating everything, stop fighting, etc.


Do you do anything like this for the summer? Anything special you add? I was thinking about sticking in postcards from places that we visit, and I'm going to let them add photos if they take any.


I just can't sit around and veg all summer. It's great to get up and have things lined up to do! Hope y'all are having fun too!

1 comment:

Becky said...

I love the journal idea, especially during that dinner prep hour! It will keep Hannah's writing skills going, and the little ones can participate by including post cards, brochures, etc! Gotta go out and get an appropriate book... I, too, am excited for our summer plans to begin!