Friday, December 01, 2006

It's back!

I finished 10 days worth of antibiotics and crossed my fingers. Current literature is recommending more than 10-14 days of meds, but it seems as though my MD does not agree. I prayed that he was right.

Three days later my shoulder started to bother me. Five days later I was back in the MDs office, unable to use my arm and in tremendous pain. 10 days was not enough.

So I'm back on antibiotics for 20 days. I've been on meds for a little over 48 hours, and my shoulder is 99% pain free. Antibiotics are an amazing thing when you truly need them!

I often think "What if this tick had bitten my kids instead of me?" I can't imagine a child going through this. I also can't imagine sending them outside now without protection against this sort of thing.

I never gave Lyme's much thought. I sprayed myself for mosquitoes and that was it. I figured if a tick jumped on I would pull it off. Now I know better. We raked more leaves the other day and I wore gloves. I sprayed my neck and other exposed areas. I want to treat the yard in the spring.

I'm lucky. I have a MD who is agreeing to treat me period let alone for a longer duration. So often people are misdiagnosed and left untreated, Lyme's can cause serious complications. I'm feeling better which for some takes awhile.

I'm not trying to scare anyone. I just want people to know that it's out there, and that they should remember to cover up, one way or another, before playing in tick happy places. Trust me. This is one of the last things you want to deal with!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Wow! Now I'm actually scared of ticks! You never know! I'm glad you're feeling better!!

Jessica said...

Also, if you feel up to it, you've been tagged! Go to my blog for details!